Worms, Worms and More Worms!

Friday, February 4, 2011


So, I think that everyone knows, that we have started dissections in science class, right? And I think that its very interesting (now some of you might get squeamish around worms and frogs but I find it fascinating!) so I've decided to post a few facts about what I noticed when examining our worm for the external exam part of the lab.

1.) These worms look like paper.

No seriously they looked fake! As soon as we got them I noticed that they were very long and they bent so they looked like paper! They weren't very slimy, even thought they were sitting in a bucket of preservative for, who knows long, so I also found that to be cool as well.

2.) Worms don't have eyes.

They don't. Apparently worms use their sensory nerves to feel what is around them. I found that to be weird at first but then I came to accept it once I found no place for eyes to exist on a worm. After all they can grow some parts of their body if it ever broke off, so what would happen if the section with the eyes was broken off? Then they would be blind! But that's just me ranting, XD

3.) Worms are pink.

Now I found this one to be surprising as well, since the first time I looked at a worm, I saw that it was a darkish brown, almost black color. Worms are normally covered in dirt and or mucus, so I can guess why they won't look pink at first but once I completed the internal exam, it becames really obvious.

4.) Worms don't have genders.

Yes, you read that right. They carry both the female and male reproductive systems in their bodies...which is kind of creepy but convenient for their species! This means that they don't have to exert extra energy to go and find a mate when they could be using that energy to run away from predators!

5.) Worms have whiskers

Not the whiskers that you see on cats and dogs! Apparently, worms have small whisker-like hairs on its skin called setae (they can be found by rubbing the worm's stomach a certain way) and it helps them to move; because they don't have any legs to move with, they crawl and without the setae on their bodies to provide traction, they would just squirm in place.

Those are just a couple of facts that I found to be interesting! If you had some other facts that you thought were interesting, you can always talk about them in the comments section of this post!

Thanks! ;3

And remember, GO TO PIPPIN'S QUESTION BOX! THE BOXIEST BOX OF QUESTIONS!


2 comments:

Pippin14 said...

How do you find preservative cool? Never mind... I don't really WANT to know. But anyway, have fun dissecting the worm? The frog just gets even better!

njguy320 said...

I've never actually thought about how worms don't have eyes. I'll have to remember that one next time I need to caught a worm!